Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Challenge Day 2: The Language of Dreams

"Summer Swish" 8x10 equine oil painting SOLD
Color! What a deep and mysterious language, the language of dreams. Paul Gauguin

Day 2 Goal: Capture a hot August day with a bright but limited palette

Hope everyone enjoyed a lovely sunny last August weekend like we had here.  Many thanks to all everyone who visited yesterday for painting challenge day 1! Did you see all the amazing Day 1 paintings? 

Since these will be almost daily postings I’m going to try to keep these postings short and sweet.  Plus, I need to spend as much time in the studio as possible. So today my “color” theme continues with different three pigment palette (plus white):
  • Cobalt blue
  • Permanent Rose
  • Indian Yellow
At first I wasn’t so sure about this combo, but I grew to love it. I don’t use cobalt that often (I tend to avoid the more toxic and pricey pigments). But it's a delicate transparent blue that makes luscious violets so I can see why it's on so many oil painters' palettes

I was actually birding in a park a few weeks ago when I saw these pair of horses grazing on a hillside. I'm a lifelong horse lover so I’m happy to report that this piece has already been sold to a neighbor who rides. The best part of a daily challenge? You get a fresh canvas in the morning! Happy late summer painting everyone!

2 comments:

  1. So much fun to see what you do with your palette. These choices worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Helen--I really enjoyed this one. And it was fun to concentrate on the color and be a little more "loose and painterly" with the brushwork. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete