Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My New Favorite Painting Tool

AM Sparrow-6x6 oil on panel
Happy May everyone! Posting another small oil painting bird painting that will be headed to the Summer Art Market in June. (I've recently added a new bird feeder to the front garden and am hoping that will attract some new models.)
I'm a big believer in taking the time upfront to work out any major compositional and layout issues in your work before the brush hits the canvas so last week, while reading Artist's Magazine, I spotted a cool tool that I just had to get. It's called the Compose It Grid--it's an easy to use plastic grid that allows you to transfer your planning sketch to your canvas.

Here's a demonstration video so you can see the Compose it Grid in action. I only used it a few times, but I already love it for still life composition. Remember the ratio needs to match your canvas size. Personally, I bought the square ratio (1:1) since it's my favorite format as well as the 8 x 10 ratio. Plus, I love that the Grid is heavy duty and will stand up to be tossed in an art tote, etc. for classes and workshops.  

Quick shout out to my upcoming art festival booth partner the very talented Ms. Heather Carr--if you like wildlife paintings as well as fantasy art and illustration so be sure to stop by. Her detailed illustrations are simply amazing. Thanks Heather for all your generous help, am thrilled to be sharing a tent with you this year! Look for us in Booth 80 on the corner of 2nd and Sherman. In the meantime, have a great spring week!

No comments:

Post a Comment