Thursday, January 27, 2011

Love Birds

For several years I've donated a heart themed painting (usually abstract) to the Denver's AIGA Heart Art Auction which will be on February 10 this year. It's a benefit for Project Angel Heart and I often incorporate heart symbols into my abstract work anyway so a fun match for me to paint.

This year I decided to combine birds with the hearts using acrylics on gallery wrapped canvas. While I have a few finishing touches--may add some touches of writing and build up some texture to help frame the heart--but overall I'm very happy with it. I really like the warm red with the cool charcoal gray. I also love balancing my representational work with my abstract work as I think each endeavor strengthens the other. 

Today one of my students did an amazing painting where we first poured the very bright clean acrylics (yellow, magenta, blue) over a canvas (drying in between colors). Then she created a negative painting around the interesting poured shapes letting the poured layer show through in some spots. I just love the movement and texture the pouring creates in the under painting. This is a really exciting technique to try.





Speaking of acrylics and their versatility, this week bought two sampler set of the new GOLDEN Open Acrylics and am looking forward to trying them in the next week or so. According to the literature, these paints stay open (workable) for up to 10 times regular tube acrylics. As always, if you have any questions about my art or painting classes please contact me or visit me on Teach Street (search Scarlet Owl).

No comments:

Post a Comment