Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Vail of Snow

There's a great Andrew Wyeth quote about painting the winter landscape:
“I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show.”

In Colorado though we are lucky to have what I call colorful winters as you can see from this oil winter landscape painting of beautiful Gore Creek (part of the Eagle River) which runs through Vail, Colorado. This reminds me, quick snow painting tip: Note how little pure white is actually used for painting snow or a winter landscape. Now, with all this talk of snow, it's time for some holiday snowball cookies (thanks Mom!) & hot chocolate in the studio!

This landscape has been sold, but as always if you have any questions about my work or classes, just write me a note at ScarletOwl@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment