Monday, November 2, 2009

Watercolor Monday

Welcome to November! This is one of my favorite large (full sheet) watercolor floral paintings from my orchid series. It was also inspired by some of the floral painting examples in one of my favorite painting books: Painting from the Inside Out by Betsy Dillard Stroud.

Orchids don't need soil to grow (or so I'm told) and I was intrigued with the idea that they live suspended in the jungle. I don't use masking fluid that often when painting watercolor, but here I decided to experiment with it for the mysterious tendrils of jungle growth in the background and I thought it worked out pretty well. Just be sure your paper is bone dry when you drizzle the masking fluid on then let it dry completely. I also prefer a colored masking fluid (like Pebeo) so you know where it is. I also added oil pastel for extra texture and a colorful line element--one of my favorite watercolor techniques.

For more information about my watercolor classes, please write to me at ScarletOwl@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment