Monday, June 15, 2009

Work in Progress: Skull & Hydrangeas

This week am working on oil painting makeover, of sorts.

I found this tattered oil painting at a tag sale a few years ago and honestly just bought it for a few dollars for the canvas to re-paint on. But the more I looked at it, I decided to give it a "makeover."

Not a true original painting, of course, but it's been an interesting creative challenge. First I decided to simplify the palette and brighten the colors, then I strengthened the composition, and now I'm working on toning down the busy knife texture. Finally, I'll make it my more my own by adding some signature painting touches like red accent lines.

When it's complete, it will live happily ever after, saved from the dumpster, in my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment